Postcards from the Summer of Unreal
In July and August 2021 one thousand animators from across Europe got together to be taught Unreal by over 20 tutors in the biggest free community learning event of its kind, organised by Escape studios and commissioned by Epic Games.
We talk to some of those who took part and ask them why a games engine is now so useful to animators, and how it is changing the industry.
A panel of animators- all participants in the Summer of Unreal - show their work and offer advice for others who are yet to make Unreal part of their animation workflow.
Saint John Walker, Creative Director Summer of Unreal, UK
- Stefan Kolbe, Head of jnlab, Jangled Nerves, Germany
- Sava Živković, Director, Axis Studios Serbia
- Nicky Gogan Head of Development and R+D, Piranha Bar Production, Ireland • Frederik Jeppesen, CG Artist, Ghost Ship Games Denmark
- Jill Ziegler, participant in SoU
- Selim Ben Salah, participant in the SoU
- Frederick Overgaard Jeppese, Concept and CG-Artist, Ghostship Games, Denmark